Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mitt Romney Is Unfit For The Office Of President

I like to think of myself as an open-minded man, but there comes a time when you have to take a stand. One of the founding principles of our nation is that every American is entitled to the basic freedoms enshrined in the words of our constitution- freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and the freedom to follow the belief system of your choice. I never thought there would come a day when I would encounter a public figure with beliefs so abhorrent, so outside the mainstream, that I would find myself enraged beyond words.

Sadly, that day has come.

Presidential candidate Mitt Romney has revealed something that, at the very least, should disqualify him from consideration for the office of President. I can accept that he and I have different politics. I can accept that he and I have different faiths. What I can't accept is his enthusiastic embrace of something every decent American should denounce.

When asked his favorite novel in an interview shown yesterday on the Fox News Channel, Mitt Romney pointed to “Battlefield Earth,” a novel by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. That book was turned into a film by John Travolta, a Scientologist.

A spokesman said later it was one of Mr. Romney’s favorite novels.
“I’m not in favor of his religion by any means,” Mr. Romney, a Mormon, said. “But he wrote a book called ‘Battlefield Earth’ that was a very fun science-fiction book.” Asked about his favorite book, Mr. Romney cited the Bible.


"Battlefield Earth"? It's cool that you're into sci-fi, and "Battlefield Earth" most assuredly qualifies as sci-fi instead of the slightly-more-reputable-but-still-a-little-iffy science fiction, but couldn't you pick something a little less hacktastic? If you like the pulpy adventure thing you should check out the books Hubbard ripped...er, was inspired by, Doc Smith's Lensman series. They start out fighting with machine pistols and end up using entire solar systems as weapons! How cool is that?

If you're into the post-apocalyptic vibe "Earth Abides" is a classic. Or how about"Alas, Babylon"? If you want full-blown soul destroying hopelessness there's always "On the Beach". Heck, I'd even recommend Stephen King's "The Stand" or Robert McCammon's "Swan Song", but people would rightfully be leery of a presidential candidate that enjoyed either of those, if you know what I mean.

Anything but "Battlefield Earth".