Friday, February 15, 2008

The Curious Case of the Misplaced Press Release: Part Deux

Sadly, it appears that the missing press release I went in search of yesterday is no longer "intended for public view", at least according to Mayor Roefaro's nephew Angelo. That means the press release expressing the Mayor's displeasure with people ignoring his press releases is something he'd now like us to ignore.

Heh.

Here are the emails I exchanged with Angelo on Friday, with my name redacted (because I like my privacy) and timestamps adjusted to Eastern time:

From: Gear Zanzibar
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:01 PM
To: aroefaro@cityofutica.com
Subject: Open Letter to the Observer-Dispatch

Hello,

I was wondering if you could forward me a copy of the open letter to Donna Donovan and the Observer-Dispatch that was posted in the "Press Release" section of the City's homepage on February 12th, 2008. It seems to have gone missing.

Cordially,
***** ********

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Angelo Roefaro wrote:
It was only intended for public view during the time that it was posted.

Thank you,
Angelo Roefaro


From: Gear Zanzibar
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 11:55 AM
To: Angelo Roefaro
Subject: Re: Open Letter to the Observer-Dispatch

Thank you for your quick response. Could you tell me who the records access officer for the original HTML version of the document would be?

Cordially,
***** ********

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Angelo Roefaro wrote:

Wow, I don't even know what it means. I put it on the site and I took it down.


From: Gear Zanzibar
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 1:45 PM
To: Angelo Roefaro
Subject: Re: Open Letter to the Observer-Dispatch


The records access officer would be the person in charge of handling a FOIL request for the document in question. Since it appears I'll have to make a formal request, much to my chagrin, I'd appreciate if you could provide me with the name and email address of the person in charge of such matters.

Cordially,
***** ********


Hopefully I'll hear back from the Mayor's office on Monday so I can send in the FOIL request to the correct individual. Keep in mind that all this effort is for a press release, something that by it's very nature is intended to invite attention and comment.